Washford Station is situated at the second highest summit of the line between Watchet and Blue Anchor, at a point where road and rail take advantage of a gap in the hills that stretch from the coastal cliffs to the Brendon Hills inland.
The climb to Washford in either direction is fairly stiff for steam locomotives - coming up from Blue Anchor there is a one mile section at 1 in 65, the steepest on the line.
The station building is the original, built when the line opened in 1874.
Next to the main building is a small wooden structure. This was the signal box and now houses a lever frame forming part of the Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust exhibits.
Of notable interest is the grassed platform - known as 'the lawn' - which, with the small floral borders, enhances the bucolic feel of the station.